PEELER, TEXAS. Peeler was at the Missouri Pacific Railroad crossing of Keechie Creek, three miles west of Oakwood in northeastern Leon County. It was established in 1872 as a switch on the International-Great Northern Railroad. W. C. Gorman owned a large race track at the site, and quarterhorse racing was a popular attraction. By the 1890s pupils attended the one-room Peeler Switch school just south of the railroad tracks. The school burned in 1919, and students went to Keechi school instead. By the 1930s Peeler was deserted.
Leon County Historical Book Survey Committee, History of Leon County (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "PEELER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp28), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.