PELICAN, TEXAS. Pelican was on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway, fifty miles northeast of Houston in northern Liberty County. The post office was established in 1896. Numerous tram railroads cut through the densely forested area near Pelican. By 1910 J. S. Johnson operated a sawmill there, and E. Powell ran a gin. The population was about thirty. In 1914, however, the post office was discontinued, and the community gradually faded from existence. Although discovery of the Pelican oilfield in 1954 brought a brief flurry of activity to the area, the community no longer appears on topographic or highway maps. Lumbering remains the primary economic concern of the region.
Barbara Smith, comp., "Cleveland's History," Cleveland Area Pioneer, June 1978.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "PELICAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp29), accessed October 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.