PINTO, TX (KINNEY COUNTY)
PINTO, TEXAS (Kinney County). Pinto, formerly known as Newell (Newel), was a rural community located on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and Farm Road 1572, ten miles southwest of Brackettville in southwestern Kinney County. It was named for nearby Pinto Creek. Newell was shown on county maps in 1884 and 1909. It had a school between 1908 and 1909; thirteen students were taught by Lee McCaughan. Sometime between 1909 and 1946 the town changed its name to Pinto. By 1946 it appears to have been abandoned. Limestone rock quarried on Pinto Creek near the community was used by the Southern Pacific Railroad in much of the masonry work on bridges throughout Texas.
Kinney County: 125 Years of Growth, 1852–1977 (Brackettville, Texas: Kinney County Historical Society, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "PINTO, TX (KINNEY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp49), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.