PLAINVIEW, TX (DENTON COUNTY)
PLAINVIEW, TEXAS (Denton County). Plainview was on Farm Road 1173 between Barnett and Plainview roads, half a mile south of Hickory Creek, four miles west of Krum, and twelve miles northwest of Denton in western Denton County. The families of Gideon and William Kimbrough arrived in the Plainview area in 1878. In 1894 a school was built that also served the growing population as a Baptist church. The first pastor, S. G. Christal, suggested the name Plainview because the community could be seen from a distance. Several years later Plainview Baptist Church received its own building, in 1898 land was purchased for a cemetery, and in 1907 a parsonage was built. Several businesses were located in Plainview in the first quarter of the twentieth century, including a cotton gin and several stores, but the community never had a post office. In 1935 Plainview School had thirty-five students and three teachers. Plainview appeared on county highway maps in the 1980s with a church and a cemetery.
C. A. Bridges, History of Denton, Texas, from Its Beginning to 1960 (Waco: Texian Press, 1978). Emily Fowler, Towns and Communities of Denton County, Texas (MS, Denton Public Library, Denton, Texas, 1956).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "PLAINVIEW, TX (DENTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp54), accessed December 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.