PLEASANTVILLE, TEXAS. Pleasantville was a black rural community near U.S. Highway 77 six miles south of Yoakum in northern DeWitt County. The community center was the school, which was established in 1904, and Mount Zion Baptist Church. Although the school probably was closed by 1950, when most of the county schools were consolidated, the church was still active in 1961.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "PLEASANTVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp63), accessed September 15, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.