POE, TEXAS. Poe, a rural community off U.S. Highway 59 ten miles south of Nacogdoches in southern Nacogdoches County, was established about 1900 as a flag stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. During the mid-1930s Poe had the station and a number of houses; children attended the nearby Dorr Creek school. After World War II most of the residents moved away, and by the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area. No population estimates were available.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "POE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp65), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.