POPE, TEXAS. Pope was located in northwestern Bowie County near the James Pope land grant twelve miles northwest of DeKalb. The town was settled in the late 1880s; it received a post office in 1894 with Ida B. Hale as postmistress. By 1896 the town had four churches, numerous businesses, and a population of 500. The post office closed in 1904, and by 1984 Pope had ceased to exist as a named community.
J. J. Scheffelin, Bowie County Basic Background Book (n.d.).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "POPE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp73), accessed February 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.