PRAIRIE POINT, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)
PRAIRIE POINT, TEXAS (Houston County). Prairie Point, also known as Prairie, a rural community off Farm Road 230 four miles southwest of Lovelady in south central Houston County, was established in the 1850s. A post office operated there under the name Prairie from 1857 to 1872. A school was established before 1897, when it had an enrollment of fifty-seven. In the mid-1930s the community consisted of a church, a school, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with that of Lovelady, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.
Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PRAIRIE POINT, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp93), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.