PRINCETON, TX (NEWTON COUNTY)
PRINCETON, TEXAS (Newton County). Princeton was on the Sabine River near the site of Deweyville thirty miles northeast of Beaumont in southeast Newton County. The townsite was laid out in 1839 on Princeton Bluff (or Possum Bluff). Princeton became a ferry and boat landing for Sabine River travelers. A post office served the town briefly, from 1880 to 1881. However, Princeton never grew in size, and with the appearance of Deweyville around the turn of the century the town was abandoned.
Madeleine Martin, "Ghost Towns of the Lower Sabine River," Texas Gulf Historical and Biographical Record 2 (1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "PRINCETON, TX (NEWTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp96), accessed November 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.