PROVIDENCE, TX (HARDIN COUNTY)
PROVIDENCE, TEXAS (Hardin County). Providence is on Farm Road 420 a mile east of U.S. Highway 69/287 and forty miles north of Beaumont in north central Hardin County. It was established around 1830 by Anglo-American settlers; other homeseekers arrived during the Republic period. The area proved attractive to early settlers because it was not part of the dense Big Thicket that covers much of Hardin County. A church, a cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings still remained in 1985.
Aline House, Big Thicket: Its Heritage (San Antonio: Naylor, 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "PROVIDENCE, TX (HARDIN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp97), accessed August 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.