PROVIDENCE, TX (FLOYD COUNTY)
PROVIDENCE, TEXAS (Floyd County). Providence is at the junction of Farm roads 2301 and 788, twelve miles northwest of Lockney and sixteen miles northeast of Plainview in northwestern Floyd County. W. J. (Uncle Jack) Lovvorn came to the area in 1891 and named the settlement for his hometown in Alabama. Many of the original residents were German Americans. The first school was built about 1910. Trinity Lutheran Church, located one mile south of the community on land given by Ben Quebe, was dedicated in June 1912. The church was expanded and rebuilt in 1949–50. The Providence school, originally the Price district, was founded in 1923 and was one of thirty-two Texas rural county school districts during the 1920s. Although hurt by consolidation and the breakup of small farms, Providence still survives as an agriculturally based community. Crops raised in the vicinity include cotton, milo, wheat, corn, and some vegetables. Businesses in the 1980s were the Providence Farm Supply and Elevator, the Providence gin (a mile west), and the Crume gin and cafe (a mile north). The Trinity Lutheran Church, with a membership of eighty-seven, also served as a community center for the area. Longtime family names included Quebe, Scheele, Brandes, Boedeker, Matthews, Koenig, Sammann, Schreiber, and Rauchenbach.
Floyd County Historical Museum, History of Floyd County, 1876–1979 (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "PROVIDENCE, TX (FLOYD COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp99), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.