PALOMAS, TEXAS. Palomas (Spanish for "doves"), sometimes called Loma, in eastern San Patricio County, was established as a flag stop in 1887 shortly after the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway reached Aransas Pass. The station was built to serve Old Ingleside, which the railroad missed by about four miles. A post office was established in 1891, with James H. Peak as the postmaster. In 1894 the post office was moved to Gregory. Oral tradition gives the home of S. M. Caldwell as the site of the post office when it moved to the railroad.
Keith Guthrie, History of San Patricio County (Austin: Nortex, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Keith Guthrie, "PALOMAS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvpae), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.