POINT PLEASANT, TX
POINT PLEASANT, TEXAS. Point Pleasant, also known as Gilead, was located on old U.S. Highway 80 a half mile east of Moody Creek in northwestern Gregg County. It was founded about 1850, when a post office opened as Gilead. The name was changed to Point Pleasant in 1852. William W. Walters, who served as postmaster from 1858 to 1860, reportedly operated a stagecoach station during the town's early years. The community also contained the Possum Trot School and Moseley Cemetery. When the railroad came through the area in the early 1870s, it bypassed the town. The post office closed in 1871, and many of the residents moved to the new communities of Longview and Gladewater. Clarksville City, which grew up during the oil boom of the early 1930s, later developed at the site. No population estimates were available, but at its height around the time of the Civil War about forty-eight families reportedly received their mail at Point Pleasant.
Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "POINT PLEASANT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvpaq), accessed December 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.