PROVIDENCE, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)
PROVIDENCE, TEXAS (Van Zandt County). Providence, sixteen miles northeast of Canton in northeast Van Zandt County, had a post office as early as 1878 and another continuously from 1888 until the 1930s. A Providence school, established by 1890, had two teachers in 1905 and reached a peak enrollment of sixty-one; it was consolidated with the Van Independent School District in 1949. In 1940 Providence had a general store and a population of thirty. The settlement appeared on postal maps in 1888 but did not appear on later state highway maps. A school community named Providence was located just across the county line in Smith County, and the two communities may have been linked.