QUARTON, TEXAS. Quarton, fifteen miles southeast of Dumas in central Moore County, was named for Benjamin F. Quarton, who opened a post office at his home there in 1903. The post office was discontinued in 1918, when local mail was routed through Dumas. The Quarton community was devoted to livestock raising and wheat farming. It reported a population of only five in 1915, and declined as nearby Dumas grew.
Myrna Tryon Thomas, The Windswept Land: A History of Moore City (Dumas, Texas, 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "QUARTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvq02), accessed December 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.