RAMSDELL, TEXAS. Ramsdell was established as a station on the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway ten miles southwest of Shamrock in southwestern Wheeler County. A post office was established on April 29, 1903, and twice rescinded before becoming permanent in November 1904. It continued operating until October 1926, after Shamrock had become the county's leading town on the Rock Island. A rural school was in operation for some time before it was consolidated with the Shamrock district. This, in addition to the completion of Interstate Highway 40 and the abandonment of the Rock Island's Panhandle lines in the 1980s, apparently led to the community's demise.
Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "RAMSDELL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvr10), accessed December 07, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.