RED RIVER, TX (GRAYSON COUNTY)
RED RIVER, TEXAS (Grayson County). Red River, also known as Red River City, a rural settlement in north central Grayson County eight miles north of Sherman, likely existed for only two years. Some fifty people lived in this area south of the Red River early in 1872, and by common consent adopted the name Red River for their community. The names Red River and Red River City appear to have been used interchangeably. A post office served the town during 1873 and 1874. Very little information concerning the settlement was available, however, and by 1874 it likely became part of the new community of Denison, which officials of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas had chosen as a terminus.
L. Tuffly Ellis, "The Revolutionizing of the Texas Cotton Trade," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 73 (April 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "RED RIVER, TX (GRAYSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvr25), accessed July 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.