REDFORD, TEXAS. Redford is located along the Rio Grande and Farm Road 170 sixteen miles southeast of Presidio in southeast Presidio County. The community was founded about 1876, when it was known as El Polvo, Spanish for "the dust." Redford's first post office opened in 1911. In 1914 the town had four general stores, and in 1934 it had sixty residents and three businesses. Redford had a school, a church, a number of houses, and a population of 107 in 1970. In 1979 Lucia Rede Madrid, a descendant of the original settlers and a retired schoolteacher, opened up a school library in her family's store. The store closed around 1990 and now serves solely as a library and museum. The predominantly Mexican-American town is linked to the Mexican town of Mulato, just across the river.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jenny Odintz, "REDFORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvr27), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.