RICHLAND, TX (BEE COUNTY)
RICHLAND, TEXAS (Bee County). Richland, seventeen miles northwest of Beeville in northwestern Bee County, was originally named Salt Branch after the nearby creek. It was settled around 1870 by C. H. Maley and John Weed, who moved there from Blanconia with their families. Other early settlers included William Massengale and John Willborn, who both opened stores in the community. In 1905 Richland had a school with fifty-four white pupils and two teachers. Only the school and a small Methodist church remained in 1940, and by 1958 Richland had been abandoned.
Grace Bauer, Bee County Centennial, 1858–1958 (Bee County Centennial, 1958). Camp Ezell, Historical Story of Bee County, Texas (Beeville: Beeville Publishing, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert D. Crangle, Jr., "RICHLAND, TX (BEE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvr42), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.