ROCK CREEK, TX (JOHNSON COUNTY)
ROCK CREEK, TEXAS (Johnson County). Rock Creek, a community center for farmers, was near the headwaters of Rock Creek in northwestern Johnson County. It developed in the middle to late 1850s, when settlers discovered a natural well, formed by steep rock walls, that held water fed from several springs. A post office operated there from 1858 to 1860. During the Civil War residents organized the Rock Creek Guards under the command of James H. Dunn. The community had been abandoned by 1865.
Johnson County History Book Committee, History of Johnson County, Texas (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "ROCK CREEK, TX (JOHNSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvr57), accessed December 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.