SALONA, TEXAS. Salona is on a spur off Farm Road 1758 five miles southeast of Bowie in south central Montague County. Settlement of the community, which was originally named Bethel, occurred in the early 1870s. By the early 1880s the community had established a church and a school and chosen the name Salona. Between 1889 and 1905 a post office operated at the site. Throughout its history Salona has acted as a community center for area farmers. In the mid-1930s a school, a church, three businesses, and a number of scattered dwellings occupied the site. The population has never exceeded fifty. The last reported estimates, in the late 1940s, listed thirty residents. The community was still marked on highway maps of the 1980s.
Montague County Historical Commission, Story of Montague County (Dallas: Curtis, 1989).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "SALONA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs08), accessed May 25, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.