SAND, TX (BASTROP COUNTY)
SAND, TEXAS (Bastrop County). Sand, named for the sandy post oak lands surrounding it, was in the far eastern corner of Bastrop County near the intersection of the Bastrop, Lee, and Fayette county lines. Ernest J. Lawrence opened a Sand post office in his general store in 1898. In 1900 the community had a sawmill and twenty-five people. In 1910 it supported a cotton gin, an apiary, and a sorghum mill, and its population stood at thirty-five. But the community soon declined, and the post office closed in 1929. By 1946 Sand had disappeared from county maps. No population figures are listed for Sand in twentieth-century Texas Almanacs.
Bill Moore, Bastrop County, 1691–1900 (Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paula Mitchell Marks, "SAND, TX (BASTROP COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs29), accessed September 15, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.