SANTA MARGARITA, TX
SANTA MARGARITA, TEXAS. Santa Margarita, on Farm Road 1762 five miles northeast of Raymondville in north central Willacy County, was established as a commissary to provide food and supplies to crews of the Gulf Coast Irrigation Company when it was clearing land in the vicinity. A general store was opened there in 1915 by W. H. Meade, who later became county judge. A Santa Margarita school district was approved on March 9, 1923, but by 1947 the store had burned and Santa Margarita existed as a dispersed rural community. By 1952 the Santa Margarita school district had become part of the San Perlita district. Santa Margarita was still shown on the 1987 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "SANTA MARGARITA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs38), accessed September 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.