SCHOFIELD, TEXAS. Schofield was on the north bank of Yegua Creek five miles east of Somerville in extreme southern Burleson County. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity began in the early 1830s. The town was founded between Somerville and Clay as a station on the Somerville-Navasota spur of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway, which was completed through the area in 1883. Apparently no post office was ever established in the settlement, and mail was delivered over a rural route from Somerville. Schofield appears to have remained undeveloped and was abandoned by the early 1900s. In the 1980s a gravel quarry near the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway line marked the western edge of the former townsite.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "SCHOFIELD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs53), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.