SEABREEZE, TEXAS. Seabreeze is on State Highway 124, just north of its intersection with Farm Road 1941, and thirty-four miles southwest of Beaumont in extreme eastern Chambers County. The site was established on the Gulf and Interstate Railway soon after its construction through Chambers County. Seabreeze secured authorization for a post office in 1898, although the office never became operational. Situated in the heart of the coastal prairies of southeastern Chambers and southwestern Jefferson counties, the Seabreeze area was characterized by rice production and the nearby Whites Ranch operations until 1937, when oil was discovered at the Seabreeze field, two miles west of the railroad stop. Another major reserve was found at the Willow Slough field, southwest of Seabreeze, in 1944. Oil and gas production by the Sun Oil Company has since marked the locale, which has only a few extremely scattered buildings and no definable community structure.
Jewel Horace Harry, A History of Chambers County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940; rpt., Dallas: Taylor, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "SEABREEZE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs59), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.