SHAVANO PARK, TX
SHAVANO PARK, TEXAS. Shavano Park, also known as Shavano, is a suburb on Farm Road 1535 twelve miles north of downtown San Antonio in northern Bexar County. Early on, the site had a store operated by A. De Zavala, who became postmaster when the Shavano post office opened in 1881. Shavano became a small station and switch on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway in 1884, and that year the community shipped corn, cotton, hay, and livestock. At that time daily stages operated between Shavano, San Antonio, and Boerne, and the town had a saloon, a carpenter, a grocer, and fifty residents. In 1890 Shavano included a church, a district school, and a population of eighty, and by 1892 its population had grown to 100, where it remained in 1896. After that the community declined. The post office closed in 1903, after which mail was delivered from San Antonio. The site of the later township of Shavano Park became a part of the Stowers Ranch (see GEORGE ARTHUR STOWERS). It was then sold in 1947 to Wallace Rogers and Sons for residential development. The city of Shavano Park was incorporated on June 19, 1956. In 1961 its population was 343, and by 1966 it was 585. Growth continued through the 1970s, and in 1975 there were 881 residents. The population of Shavano Park was reported as 1,448 in 1980 and 1,775 in 1990.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mary L. Kelley, "SHAVANO PARK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs77), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.