SHAW BEND, TX
SHAW BEND, TEXAS. Shaw Bend, previously known as Browns Bend or Brown Bend, is in a bend of the Colorado River four miles east of State Highway 16 and ten miles northeast of San Saba in northeastern San Saba County. The community was founded around 1855 either by Stinnett Mussett, W. McShan, and Matt Brown or by Asa Madison Brown and William Calvin Shaw. It was named after W. Shaw, an early settler and Baptist preacher. In 1949 Shaw Bend reported a church and a school, but the school eventually consolidated with the San Saba school district. In 1984 the community still had a church.
Alma Ward Hamrick, The Call of the San Saba: A History of San Saba County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1941; 2d ed., Austin: Jenkins, 1969). San Saba County History (San Saba, Texas: San Saba County Historical Commission, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen Yancy, "SHAW BEND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs78), accessed May 22, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.