SHEPTON, TEXAS. Shepton, a farming community ten miles southwest of McKinney in southwestern Collin County, was settled after J. W. Shephard opened a general store there in 1890. The town name was derived from that of Shephard, whose store became the focal point for community activity. A post office operated at Shepton from 1894 to 1903, but the community population remained well under fifty. Over the next few decades most Shepton residents left for nearby Plano, and by the 1980s the former Shepton community center was within the Plano city limits.
Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "SHEPTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs83), accessed November 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.