SIKES, TEXAS. Sikes was seven miles from Greenville in central Hunt County. Its settlement occurred sometime in the late 1870s, when the town's eponymous founder, J. T. Sikes, built a gin. A post office branch opened in 1897 and closed six years later. The population of Sikes never exceeded fifty, and the community ceased to exist shortly after World War II.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SIKES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs89), accessed December 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.