SOLINO, TEXAS. Solino, on U.S. Highway 281 near Red Gate in north central Hidalgo County, was established in 1927 as a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and was named for the salt lakes found in the region. It is claimed that its name came from the fact that the railroad sign-painter didn't know Spanish and mispainted the sign as Solino instead of the intended Salina (Spanish for "salt mine"). The depot was a Spanish-style beige stucco building, similar to the depots in McAllen and Edinburg. In 1930 the town had three stores and sixty residents, and from 1932 to 1938 a post office operated there. The community later became part of Red Gate and received its mail via Edinburg. Though by 1990 the depot was gone, that year one small store and a tavern were reported there. No population figures are available for Solino, and it was not shown on 1980s highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Izora J. Tinkler Skinner, "SOLINO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsak), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.