STANDART, TEXAS. Standart, also known as Buckner, was at the intersection of the Southern Pacific Railroad and Farm Road 1572, two miles south of U.S. Highway 90 and twelve miles west of Brackettville in west central Kinney County. The community was established shortly after the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway was constructed through Kinney County around 1883. A community named Buckner is shown at the site of Standart on county maps of 1884. The settlement was granted a post office and probably named Standart in 1890; in 1892 J. L. Stambaugh was serving as postmaster. C. W. Standart served as a Kinney County school officer in 1884 and owned a general store and ranch near the community in the 1880s. Standart was closely allied with its neighbor Amanda at this time; J. M. Wilson, justice of the peace in Standart, also operated a general store in Amanda in the early 1890s. By 1914 Standart had telephone connections, a post office, and a general store owned by J. A. Hansbrough. The post office was discontinued, however, in 1919. County maps of 1946 and 1979 show the community but indicate no dwellings. Though Standart was evidently still a shipping point on the railroad in 1979, the community had been abandoned by 1989.
Kinney County: 125 Years of Growth, 1852–1977 (Brackettville, Texas: Kinney County Historical Society, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "STANDART, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsbm), accessed August 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.