STELLA, TEXAS. Stella was eight miles southwest of West Point in western Fayette County. It was settled during the 1870s and had a post office established under the name of Stellar in 1880. By 1900 the community had a store and was a voting precinct for a widely scattered population. The post office was discontinued in 1909 when the store closed. The rocky and sandy soils were soon depleted, and most of the farms reverted to unimproved pasture covered with deep stands of post oak. The community no longer exists. During the 1980s the area showed some oil activity and was a source of sand and gravel.
Frank Lotto, Fayette County: Her History and Her People (Schulenburg, Texas: Sticker Steam Press, 1902; rpt., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeff Carroll, "STELLA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsbt), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.