STEPHENSBORO, TEXAS. Stephensboro, a nineteenth-century community, was nine miles north of the site of present Bagwell in northwestern Red River County. Founded in the mid-1860s by Obadiah Stephens, sawmill owner and postmaster, the town appears to have been a thriving community in the early 1870s. At one point it had the sawmill, a furniture factory, and a large tanyard. In 1876 the Texas and Pacific Railway line from Paris to Texarkana was completed several miles south of Stephensboro, and the town began to decline. The post office was closed in 1879, and by the 1930s the community had disappeared.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "STEPHENSBORO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsbv), accessed July 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.