STEVENS, TEXAS. Stevens, in northern Sherman County, was established as a switch on the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf in 1900 and was named for Steve Stevens, a conductor on that railway. Classes were held in the railroad section house before a one-room school was built on land donated by George Brady in 1910. Later a general store was built, and in 1920 the Riffe brothers built a grain elevator. A post office was established at the community in April 1929. In 1940 the school was consolidated with the Stratford district; the building was sold to Harry Sears of Stratford and its lumber was subsequently used for a house there. During the 1940s Stevens reported a population of twenty, but the improved highways in the area led to the demise of the town. Its post office was discontinued in 1943, and the store, which had a filling station, remained in business for only a few years beyond that. In 1987 only the grain elevator remained at the Stevens townsite, on U.S. Highway 54 between Stratford and Texhoma.
Sherman County Historical Survey Committee, God, Grass, and Grit (2 vols., Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1971, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "STEVENS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsbw), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.