STILSON, TEXAS. Stilson is on U.S. Highway 90 thirty-six miles northeast of Houston in southwestern Liberty County. The Stilson townsite was established as a shipping station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad, platted by O. H. and Lydia Stilson and Rodney and Mary Hill in 1896 and officially filed in early 1899. The post office was established in 1898. Numerous irrigation ditches mark the surrounding area, and a rice plant was operated there around the turn of the century. The population was set at seventy-five in 1910 and at twenty-five in 1920. Although the post office was discontinued in 1925, several buildings remain clustered around the community center.
Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "STILSON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvscd), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.