STOCKARD, TEXAS. Stockard, on U.S. Highway 175 eight miles northwest of Athens in northwestern Henderson County, became a station and post office on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad in 1900. The community, which was named after a pioneer family, had fifty residents and one store in 1914. In 1936 it consisted of a church, a school, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings, but by 1990 only the cemetery and a couple of houses remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Kent Willis, "STOCKARD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvscf), accessed November 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.