STOCKTON, TEXAS. Stockton was a rural community established sometime before the Civil War. It was originally in Johnson County, though it became part of Hood County when the latter was formed from part of Johnson County in 1866. Stockton won some regional notoriety as the home of the Stockton Cavalry, a unit led by Capt. John Formwalt that served as a home guard during the war. Though according some sources there was a post office at the site in 1863, Stockton was never an organized settlement. It ceased to exist after Granbury was selected as the county seat in 1866. The former site of Stockton in now under Lake Granbury.
A. J. Byrd, History and Description of Johnson County and Its Principal Towns (Marshall, Texas: Jennings, 1879).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "STOCKTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvscg), accessed December 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.