SUFFOLK, TEXAS. Suffolk was on State Highway 155 four miles southwest of Gilmer in southwestern Upshur County. The community was established around 1900 as a stop on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway. In the mid-1930s the small lumbering and farming town consisted of a church, a depot, a store, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II most of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s all that remained of the community was a few widely scattered houses. In 1990 Suffolk no longer appeared on highway maps; two businesses still operated there in 1999, though the only other vestige of the town was the Morris Cemetery.
Audie Ray, Lurline, and Douglas Ray Stanley, comps. and eds., Upshur County Cemetery Records (Gilmer, Texas, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SUFFOLK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvscs), accessed December 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.