SULLIVAN, TEXAS. Sullivan was just off U. S. Highway 90 and fifteen miles northeast of Seguin in eastern Guadalupe County. The community began as a switch on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway, which built through the area in 1876. Sullivan was probably named for Jim Sullivan, the engineer of the first passenger train to go from Houston to San Antonio in 1877. When oil was discovered at Gander Slu in 1922, Sullivan became a loading site for oil tank cars. A townsite was laid out in 1924, when a tank farm for oil was built. The population has never exceeded 100, and only a railroad stop and section house were standing in 1945.
Willie Mae Weinert, An Authentic History of Guadalupe County (Seguin, Texas: Seguin Enterprise, 1951; rpt. 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Willie Mae Weinert, "SULLIVAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsct), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.