Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

SULPHUR, TX

SULPHUR, TEXAS. Sulphur was on the eastern division of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and the Sulphur River ten miles south of Texarkana in southeastern Bowie County. It was probably settled in the early 1870s, when the Texas and Pacific Railway was being built. When a post office was established there in 1874 with L. C. Leeds as postmaster, it was named Sulphur Station. By 1884 the village was said to contain a gristmill, and lumber, shingle, and planing mills. The population was reported as 300. This was the highest population estimate ever recorded for Sulphur Station. In 1890 and 1896 the population was estimated at 100. The post office was discontinued in 1899, and no further population reports are available. By 1936 the settlement, which consisted of a few widely scattered houses, was being referred to as Sulphur; it may have been the site of a post office called Sulphur that operated in 1903 and 1904. By 1984 Sulphur had ceased to exist as a named community.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

J. J. Scheffelin, Bowie County Basic Background Book (n.d.).

Cecil Harper, Jr.

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Cecil Harper, Jr., "SULPHUR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvscx), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Texas AlmanacFor more information about towns and counties including physical features, statistics, weather, maps and much more, visit the Town Database on TexasAlmanac.com!