SUNSHINE HILL, TX
SUNSHINE HILL, TEXAS. Sunshine Hill is a community on a spur of Farm Road 1739 five miles northeast of Electra in northwestern Wichita County. It was named after a hill that reportedly, despite its slight elevation of 1,208 feet above sea level, could be seen for miles in the sun. A school was established at the community in 1889 on land donated by C. P. Coble and was consolidated with Electra in 1947. In the early 1920s E. M. Foster discovered oil, producing a brief flurry of activity in the area. Since the 1920s, however, the community, which is in the center of the Sunshine oilfield, has remained small. The 1936 county highway map showed a school, a business, and scattered dwellings at the townsite. By the early 1980s no major structures remained.
Louise Kelly, Wichita County Beginnings (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "SUNSHINE HILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsde), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.