SWEDEN, TEXAS. Sweden was a ranching community on the Texas-Mexican Railway and Agua Poquita Creek four miles southwest of Benavides in central Duval County. Its first post office was established in late 1884 with Henry A. Lucas as postmaster, but the office closed the next year. A second post office opened in 1907, when fifteen pupils attended the Sweden school; this office closed in 1932. The town population was estimated at twenty-five in 1914 and at twenty in 1948, eleven years after the discovery of the neighboring North Sweden oilfield. By the mid-1950s the school had been consolidated with the Benavides Independent School District, and the town was no longer shown on maps of the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "SWEDEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsdg), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.