SHADY GROVE, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)
SHADY GROVE, TEXAS (Houston County). Shady Grove, a farming community on U.S. Highway 287 ten miles southeast of Crockett in southeastern Houston County, was first settled in the 1850s. A post office operated there from 1855 to 1866, a Baptist church was established sometime before the mid-1860s, and the first church was rebuilt in 1896. In the mid-1930s Shady Grove included the church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, but by the mid-1960s the church, the cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses still remained. In the early 1990s Shady Grove was a dispersed rural community.
Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Eliza H. Bishop, "SHADY GROVE, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsdn), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.