SAVANNAH, TX (RED RIVER COUNTY)
SAVANNAH, TEXAS (Red River County). Savannah was southeast of the site of present-day Annona in southeast Red River County. The community was named Savannah because many of its early settlers were from Savannah, Georgia. The town received a post office in 1846 with Andrew Jackson Titus as postmaster. In the early 1870s, when it became clear that the railroad would bypass Savannah to the north, the town of Walker Station, which later became Annona, was established on the proposed rail route, and Savannah began to decline. The post office was moved to Walker Station in 1874. In 1881 a newspaper correspondent of the Clarksville Standard visited Savannah briefly and claimed that he "found the place looking a little the worse for wear." Although a church and cemetery in southeastern Red River County still bore the name Savannah in 1951, the community itself had ceased to exist.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "SAVANNAH, TX (RED RIVER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsdv), accessed March 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.