SAMUEL, TEXAS. Samuel, once a community in Washington County, opened a post office on September 20, 1889. It derived its name from its first postmaster, Oscar Samuel, and was probably located near the center of the county. By 1890 there were three gins and mills in town. The post office was closed in 1905.
Henry Gannett, A Gazetteer of Texas (U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 190, Series F, Washington: GPO, 1902; 2d ed., U.S.G.S. Bulletin 224, 1904).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "SAMUEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvseh), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.