SANDIES CHAPEL, TX
SANDIES CHAPEL, TEXAS. Sandies Chapel was on a country road off Farm Road 1116 near the confluence of McCoy and Sandies creeks twenty-five miles southwest of Gonzales in southwestern Gonzales County. Settlers in the 1830s met near the site for camp meetings, and in 1842 the Sandies Chapel Methodist Church was organized. The church building burned down twice, about 1851 and in the late 1870s, and was rebuilt both times. A cemetery was established across from the church in the 1850s. The community briefly had a post office during the Civil War. Sandies Chapel School began meeting in the church building by 1876. In 1897 a new Methodist church built in the community of Dewville, a mile away, replaced the Sandies Chapel church. The school was also moved to Dewville in 1907, and by the 1930s all that remained of Sandies Chapel was the cemetery, referred to as Sandy Chapel Cemetery on some later maps.
Gonzales County Historical Commission, History of Gonzales County (Dallas: Curtis, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "SANDIES CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsfa), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.