TALBOTT RIDGE, TX
TALBOTT RIDGE, TEXAS. Talbott Ridge was a small farming community near U.S. Highway 79 four miles northeast of Rockdale in south central Milam County. It was named for M. Talbott, an early landowner. In 1903 Talbott Ridge had a two-teacher school with sixty-six students. The county built a dipping vat near the community in 1919 because of an epidemic of Texas fever that had broken out among area livestock. A school and a few scattered houses marked Talbott Ridge on county highway maps in the 1940s. The Talbott Ridge school was consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1954. By the 1980s Talbott Ridge was no longer shown on county highway maps.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "TALBOTT RIDGE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt02), accessed September 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.