TEJON, TEXAS. Tejon was at the site of what is now the intersection of Farm roads 511 and 1847, five miles north of Brownsville in southern Cameron County. It was a stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad in the mid-1930s. By 1936 there were several dwellings and a school in the area. The 1948 county highway map showed the community name, but it did not appear on later maps. In the United States, tejon is Spanish for "raccoon."
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "TEJON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt13), accessed December 12, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.