THAYER, TEXAS. Thayer was a stop on the San Benito and Rio Grande Valley Railway, located off South U.S. Highway 281 three miles southeast of Mercedes in extreme southeastern Hidalgo County. The dispersed community had one store and an estimated population of twenty in 1930 and 1948, after which it was no longer shown on county maps. Its railroad station was abandoned in 1957.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "THAYER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt29), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.