TIGERTOWN, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)
TIGERTOWN, TEXAS (Washington County). Tigertown, six miles southwest of the site of Brenham, was an important community in the first years of settlement of Texas. This community in southwestern Washington County was also known as Tiger Point. In 1830 Philip Haddox Coe named the locality Tigertown because the men who lived there acted like tigers. Tigertown residents included prosperous planters and other Washington County citizens prominent in the political and economic life of the region. According to one source the community had a post office by 1856. By the turn of the century no remains of the settlement were left. The site of Tigertown is now a farm.
Mrs. R. E. Pennington, History of Brenham and Washington County (Houston, 1915). Charles F. Schmidt, History of Washington County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1949).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "TIGERTOWN, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt33), accessed May 25, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.